Trainees and apprentices
North Coast TAFE is the largest and a quality provider of trainee and apprentice qualifications both on and off the job on the north coast. If you want to know where and how you can do your training locally contact the North Coast TAFE Customer Service Centre on 1300 NCTAFE (1300 628233).
What are traineeships and apprenticeships?
Apprenticeships and traineeships combine paid work and structured training. They allow you to learn a trade or workplace skill and receive a nationally accredited qualification.
- Traineeships – Usually last one or two years and provide training in vocational areas not usually covered by apprenticeships. Traineeships are available across a diverse range of emerging careers in most sectors of business and industry.
- Apprenticeships – Usually last three or four years and cover 'traditional' trades such as carpentry, electrical, hairdressing and plumbing.
Whilst apprenticeships are mostly full-time (the exception being part time school-based apprenticeships), traineeships can be undertaken either full-time or part-time. Apprenticeships and traineeships include:
- Paid employment under an appropriate industrial arrangement
- A training agreement between the employer and apprentice or trainee which is registered with the NSW Department of Education and Training
- Structured on-the-job training
- A training program, delivered by a Registered Training Organisation (such as North Coast TAFE), through which you will gain a nationally recognised qualification.
Who can become an apprentice or trainee?
Apprenticeships and traineeships are available to anyone of working age. You can be a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or an adult worker simply wishing to change careers. You do not need to have the Higher School Certificate or other qualification.
How do I become an apprentice or trainee?
You'll need to find an employer with a vacancy or interest in taking on apprentices or trainees. Call North Coast TAFE on 1300 NCTAFE (1300 628233) to discuss your options, or contact an Australian Apprenticeships Centre, Centrelink or your local Job Services Australia provider who may be able to provide you with details of potential employers.
North Coast TAFE offers a range of pre-apprenticeship courses in skill shortage areas such as carpentry and automotive trades to help you fast-track your way into an apprenticeship. You’ll also finish your Certificate III apprenticeship qualification in less time.
North Coast TAFE can also give you the basic skills to give you the edge in gaining a traineeship. We offer, for example, a range of computer courses which give you the basic skills that employers are now looking for.